The Legal 500 EMEA 2022: Insurance & Reinsurance
Gil Atar is head of Naschitz Brandes Amir’s Tort & Insurance Litigation and Sports Law practices and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Named Leading Individual in Insurance Law by The Legal500, Gil has extensive experience handling some of the largest and most complex insurance and tort claims in Israel, such as property damages, personal injury claims, medical and other professional negligence claims, as well as class action claims.
Gil represents most of the insurance companies in Israel, as well as insurers and reinsurers around the world. He advises clients with respect to litigation matters in jurisdictions outside of Israel such as the US, the UK, Australia, Russia, Denmark, Italy, and the Netherlands. Gil also advises Israeli and International commercial companies in tort and insurance claims of all types.
Among many highlights, Gil has successfully handled the largest toxic tort case in Israeli history (alleged bodily injuries due to water pollution), a claim for a massive flood during the desalination of seawater in a large construction project in Tel Aviv, the total destruction of IKEA store due to fire, a subrogation claim concerning the total loss of the Haifa underground train, the total loss of a settlement, representing an insurer in the largest road accident occurrence in Israeli history, and many other complex multinational product liability claims such as silicosis and asbestos claims.
In addition, Gil has significant experience in sports law. In 2019, he was appointed to serve as an arbitrator in the most highly regarded judicial institution in the world - The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), in Switzerland. Gil acts as a legal advisor to the Olympic Committee of Israel and represents many sports organizations.
Gil is a regular speaker at national and international conferences and is often asked to comment on the subjects of torts, insurance, and sports law in the press. He also serves as an adjunct lecturer on insurance and tort law at the College of Management Academic Studies.
Prior to joining Naschitz Brandes Amir, Gil worked for 6 years in the Claims and Insurance department of the Ministry of Defense. During that time, he also served as a legal representative of the Israeli Government’s Attorney General and handled claims in which the State of Israel was involved.
- Representation of Haifa Chemicals LTD in the largest toxic tort case brought
in Israel, with regard to the alleged River pollution (200 plaintiffs). The claim was
fully dismissed by the Supreme Court.
- Representing parties in the 2022 claim concerning the Meron crowd crush.
- Representing Haifa Chemicals in high-profile class actions concerning air pollution.
- Representation of Casearstone in more than silicosis 300 claims in Israel and around the world.
- Representing Afcon Control & Automation Ltd. in a $100 million claim brought by Rotem Amfert Negev concerning a fire in Rotem's factory.
- Representing Zurich Belgium Insurance in a NIS 200 million property damages claim concerning a groundwater flooding incident.
- Representing ISS Group and its insurers (Harel and Zurich) in a US$23 million claim relating to property damages and loss of profits, due to fire occurrence in Carmelit underground train in Haifa.
- Representing solely ICL in all its insurance and tort matters concerning EL Claims.
- Representing Harel Insurance Company Ltd. in a number of large-scale insurance claims, a 93 NIS million insurance claim filed by Electra EPC and ELCO, relating to the loss of profit as a result of a delay in the start-up of the hydroelectric power station.
- Representing Harel Insurance, its reinsurer Tokio Marine and its insured Mekorot (the national water company) in a number of insurance and tort claims (above NIS 100 million), relating to alleged damages to agricultural corps as a result of disruption and quality of the supplied water.
- Representation of Hachshara Insurance Co. in the largest road accident claim in
Israel (50 bodily injuries and fatalities of Russian tourists).
- Representing Modi'in municipality and Harel insurance a NIS 68 million claim relating to a fire that broke out in 2019.
- Representing GALAM and Harle in a 31 million claim filed by Milobar.
- Representation of Eitanit and Migdal Insurance Co. in various asbestos claims.
- Representation of Phoenix Insurance Co. in a $120 million claim by Elisra (fire loss).
- Representation of Clal Insurance Co. in the $60 million fire and bodily injury claims
with regard to the Beit Mercazim fire.
- Representation of the Phoenix Insurance Co. in the claim of 100 Australian plaintiffs
(bodily injuries and fatalities) due to the collapse of the Maccabiah Bridge.
Arbitrator, Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), Lausanne, Switzerland
LL.B. (cum laude), Tel-Aviv University (1994)
09 May 2022Naschitz Brandes Amir Partners Co-author Israel Chapter of The Legal 500 Insurance & Reinsurance Country Comparative Guide
14 April 2022Naschitz Brandes Amir Recognized in The Legal 500 EMEA 2022